FC Cary Rules
Updated Monday April 8, 2019 by FC Cary.
FC Cary Rules
- FIFA Laws of the Game - All U08-U18 rec games will follow the FIFA rules, with the exception of no slide tackling, the substitution policy and two game variations noted below.
- No slide tackles allowed in any age group - sliding to keep the ball in play or when striking the ball when no other players are near the player is allowed. For it to be considered a slide tackle, there must be another player near the player who slides to the ground. Also, the player going to ground does not have to make contact with the other player for it to be called a dangerous play. Any intentional going to ground near another player shall be called a foul.
- Substitutions - Teams are allowed to substitute players (with permission of the referee) on any of their throw-ins, any goal-kick, any kick-off, and any time the opposing team substitutes players.
- Throw-ins - Only teams playing in the U8 and U9 division will be allowed to retake a foul throw-in. A foul throw in all age groups U10 and above will result in a turnover.
- Kick-off and goalkeeper's punt - The ball may travel in any direction to start play.
- Goals will not be allowed off the kick-off directly into the goal. More specifically, the ball must travel outside the center circle before a goal can be scored. If a team shoots from the kickoff and it goes into the opponent's goal it will result in a goal kick.
- Goals will not be allowed from a goalkeeper's punt. The ball must be touched by another member of the goalkeeper's team before a goal will be allowed. A goal kick will be awarded if the ball is kicked from the keeper into the other team's goal.
- U8 and U9 Rule Variation - For the U08 and U09 games, the defending team must back up to the center line on any goal kick and any time the keeper saves the ball and has the ball in his or her hands.
- U12 and Under Rule Variation - FC Cary will be following the policy set by NCYSA which calls for NO heading of the ball for U12 and below players in games to help reduce concussions. U11 and U12 player may have limited heading practice during training but no heading during games. U10 and below should have no heading in either games or training. IN GAMES: If a player heads the ball in a U12 or below game, an indirect free kick will be awarded to the opposing team. If the header occurs in the penalty box by either team, the indirect free kick will be placed at the top corner of the penalty box closest to the infraction. Think goal kick ball placement but on the penalty box. Finally, the heading of the ball must be intentional. If the ball simply hits the player in the head, this is not a rule violation.
- Game Day Seating
- Each team will have their own sideline and all players, coaches and parents shall sit on the same sideline, one team per side line - see game day seating diagram
- No spectators shall sit on the end line (behind the goal)
- Ball Sizes
- U05-U08 - Size 3 Soccer Ball
- U09-U12 - Size 4 Soccer Ball
- U13-U18 - Size 5 Soccer Ball
- Game Durations
- U08-U09 - Four 12-minute quarters
- U10-U18 - Two 25-minute halves
- Number of Players
- U08-U09 - 7v7
- U10-U12 - 8v8
- U13-U18 - 11v11
Starting with the fall of 2019 season, the following blowout policy will be in effect for ages u08 and above.
Any win by 7 or more goals will be considered a blowout. A team will be allowed one blowout win per season before league sanctions will be applied. The club recognizes that the games situation may turn quickly at times so the club will allow each team a one-game grace buffer.
After a team's first blowout win, the coach will be notified via email that they have used their allotted one blowout.
After a team's second blowout win, the coach will be notified via email that they are in violation of the blowout policy. The team may be disbanded for the following season, with returning players being distributed among the other teams in the age division.
After a team's third blowout win, the coach (and assistant coach) may be removed. If coaches are removed, a replacement coach must step forward among the parents of the team. If no volunteer coach is available, the team will forfeit all remaining games including the tournament.
- Any win by 10 or more goals will count as two blowouts. There are no situations in which winning by 10 or more goals is justified.
- If a team has to forfeit its remaining games due to violating the blowout policy, there will be no refund of player registration fees.
- The club will continue to monitor this policy and reserves that right to make adjustments at any time as needed.