FC Cary Rules
Updated Friday August 10, 2018 by FC Cary.
FC Cary Rules
- FIFA Laws of the Game - All U08-U18 rec games will follow the FIFA rules, with the exception of no slide tackling, the substitution policy and two game variations noted below.
- No slide tackles allowed in any age group - sliding to keep the ball in play or when striking the ball when no other players are near the player is allowed. For it to be considered a slide tackle, there must be another player near the player who slides to the ground. Also, the player going to ground does not have to make contact with the other player for it to be called a dangerous play. Any intentional going to ground near another player shall be called a foul.
- Substitutions - Teams are allowed to substitute players (with permission of the referee) on any of their throw-ins, any goal-kick, any kick-off, and any time the opposing team substitutes players.
- Throw-ins - Only teams playing in the U8 division will be allowed to retake a foul throw-in. A foul throw in all age groups U9 and above will result in a turnover.
- Kick-off and goal keeper's punt - The ball may travel in any direction to start play. No longer is the ball required to travel forward to begin play.
- Goals will not be allowed off the kick off directly into the goal. More specifically, the ball must travel outside the center circle before a goal can be scored. If a team shoots from the kick off and it goes into the opponents goal it will result in a goal kick.
- Goals will not be allowed from a goal keeper's punt. The ball must be touched by another member of the goal keeper's team before a goal will be allowed. A goal kick will be awarded if the ball is kicked from the keeper into the other team's goal.
- U8 Rule Variation - For the U08 games, the defending team must back up to the center line on any goal kick and any time the keeper saves the ball and has the ball in his or her hands.
- U12 and Under Rule Variation - FC Cary will be following the policy set by NCYSA which calls for NO heading of the ball for U12 and below players in games to help reduce concussions. U11 and U12 player may have limited heading practice during training but no heading during games. U10 and below should have no heading in either games or training. IN GAMES: If a player heads the ball in a U12 or below game, an indirect free kick will be awarded to the opposing team. If the header occurs in the penalty box by either team, the indirect free kick will be placed at the top corner of the penalty box closest to the infraction. Think goal kick ball placement but on the penalty box. Finally, the heading of the ball must be intentional. If the ball simply hits the player in the head, this is not a rule violation.
- Game Day Seating
- Each team will have their own sideline and all players, coaches and parents shall sit on the same sideline, one team per side line - see game day seating diagram
- No spectators shall sit on the end line (behind the goal)
- Ball Sizes
- U05-U08 - Size 3 Soccer Ball
- U09-U12 - Size 4 Soccer Ball
- U13-U18 - Size 5 Soccer Ball
- Game Durations
- U08-U09 - Four 12-minute quarters
- U10-U18 - Two 25-minute halves
- Number of Players
- U08-U09 - 7v7
- U10-U12 - 8v8
- U13-U18 - 11v11